Friday, October 30, 2015

Breaking Free From Food Addiction:


Will I Ever Truly Break Free of My Food Addiction and Will I Ever Get To Eat My Favorite Foods Again?

“Now that I’m on this diet and making lots of progress, what does this mean for my relationship with food?  Will I ever get to eat my favorite foods again?  Will I ever get to a place where I am no longer mourning the loss of those unhealthy, processed junk foods that used to be connected with what felt like the best times of my life?  Will I be able to enjoy life even if I don’t ever eat those foods again- even in lifetime phase?”  These are the thoughts I have been pondering this week as I fight the mental battle of food addiction while stabilizing within last dose weight on Round 6 Phase 3 Day 30 of the HcG diet.  I want to get to a place where I don’t care so much about food.  Why is food so important to me?  I have made huge progress, but this is still something I am battling.  Sometimes it seems that I am tempted to plan my whole day around food.  I often find myself asking, “When will I get a break so I can eat something?  And what will I eat?  How can I arrange my day so that I get more food breaks?”  If I give into this tendency, my life revolves way too much around food.  Somehow, at some point in my life, I made the mistake of pairing unhealthy food (and unhealthy eating habits) with happiness and fun.  I paired food with relaxation and peace.  I paired food with special occasions and with holidays.  As counter-intuitive as it may sound, I also used food to medicate my depression about my obese-class-III-body.  After I began doing the HcG Diet, part of me went into mourning because I missed the comfort I was used to experiencing from food.  Will I ever get to a place where I no longer mourn the foods I used to eat on a daily basis?  I used to drown my tears (over my own body size) in a large plate of pizza rolls or a bag of chips, but the LORD is showing me a better way!  And I want to share it with you too!  We can be free from this food addiction!  We don’t have to give in to it any longer!  I am praying for each person who reads this that God would break the tower of lies that the enemy has built around you!  Receive the hope of the LORD over this struggle!  God is going to break in and bring you through this!  As you trust and surrender to God, you will be released from the hold that food has on you!  By the power of the Holy Spirit, you will be set free!  Your love of food doesn’t define you anymore!  Break free!  Break free in Jesus’ name!  Now when I am tempted to allow food to fill me in a way that only God can fill me, I distract myself.  I read a good book, call a friend, watch a TV show, spend time alone with God, put on worship music, go for a walk or jog, get on Facebook and look for someone to encourage, tackle a project, get involved in a church outreach, write a blog post, or spend time with family and friends.  I may not ever eat pizza rolls again, or maybe I will choose to eat them only once in a very great while and in tight moderation, but either way- my hope is in the LORD.  I don’t believe there will ever be a day that I no longer have to fight my love of food, but this thing I know: I serve a God who goes with me and fights my battles alongside me!  I am more than a conqueror in Him!  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  I will not lose heart, for my God is for me!  In Him, we can overcome our love of food!  Let’s live victorious as we submit this area of our lives to the LORD, and trust Him to empower us.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I am so with you... and I keep saying I am going to give it to God and let HIM be in control... but I keep failing. Thanks for your words of encouragement! and prayer as I need it to be strong and you will be in my prayers to as you continue this journey. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. very encouraging, I am recognizing I too have a problem with food, sad but true

    ReplyDelete