Friday, April 15, 2016

I Was Drowning in Obesity and Drinking More Water Helped Me Lose 145 Pounds


I have lost 145 pounds, and water intake has been a key factor in my weight loss and weight maintenance journey.  I drink half my body weight in ounces of water each day, and I recommend this as a good general guideline for most people. (For example, if someone weighed 200 pounds, I am recommending that they drink 100 ounces of water each day.)

     Many studies have shown the value of water in helping people to lose weight.  Here is one I'd like to highlight:     "Berlin's Franz-Volhard Clinical Research Center tracked energy expenditures among seven men and seven women who were healthy and not overweight... The researchers estimate that over the course of a year, a person who increases his water consumption by 1.5 liters a day would burn an extra 17,400 calories, for a weight loss of approximately five pounds. They note that up to 40% of the increase in calorie burning is caused by the body's attempt to heat the ingested water. The findings are reported in the December issue of 
The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism." (Read more here: http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20040105/drinking-water-may-speed-weight-loss)

     Since drinking enough water can help aid weight loss, here are some tips for drinking half of your body weight in ounces of water each day: I don't allow myself a lot of hot teas, iced teas, or other drinks until I've finished my water for the day. Other times I'll take a hot tea and my water and take sips back and forth while sitting on a blanket listening to a motivational audiobook- that way I'm relaxing and learning while getting my water intake in. Sometimes I put on a timer for 5 min and I have to sit down and sip water and tea until the timer goes off. I pretend it's like a break.

     Also, I use 2 huge water bottles and take them with me almost everywhere I go. If I'm running errands, I will make a specific goal about how much water I will need to have consumed by the time I arrive home.  For me, getting my water intake in is not an option- it is absolutely necessary.

      My cousin Lindsay who has always motivated me to be healthy taught me to put strawberries, blueberries, and mint leaves in my water.  I can't afford to do this often, but my water is delicious on those days. If you begin to feel hungry or snacky throughout the day, ask yourself whether you might actually be thirsty and not hungry.  On top of that, when I go out to eat, I add freshly squeezed lemon and stevia to my glass of water and I aim to drink the whole glass before I begin to eat.  Some of my friends mentioned that it's easier to drink more water since they bought a nice reusable water bottle, and it motivates them. I might try this idea.

     Please share your tips in the comment area about the strategies you employ for getting your water intake accomplished each day.  Water intake is very important, and is a key factor that has helped me to lose 145 pounds and maintain that weight loss.


If you would like to get in touch, feel free to private message me on Facebook or email me at mrs.marlene.bishop@gmail.com.  Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marlene! Thank you for sharing this idea. I am more than 200lbs. It's really difficult for me to shed my weights. I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Elisa. I hope it helps you. Feel free to email me any time at mrs.marlene.bishop@gmail.com. Blessings on your weight loss journey. :)

      Delete